- 18 Thatched Suites overlook the unfenced African bush or the Sabie River each with its own plunge pool
- A ‘Memory Lab’ can also be found at the lodge where guests can print their photographs on canvas which they can take home and keep a piece of the safari adventure with them
- There are various living spaces that guests can enjoy which includes a safari lounge & bar, a gallery & the OneLife MORE Boutique
- Big FiveYes
- Off RoadYes
- Camp FencedNo
- Child PolicyNo children under 10 years allowed
- PoolYes - at the main area only
- SPAFull Spa
- Cellphone SignalYes
- Malaria AreaYes (Low Risk Area)
LocationSabi Sand Game Reserve, Mpumalanga
5.5 hours by road from Johannesburg (Shaws Gate).
Federal Air operates daily flights from OR Tambo International Airport to Skukuza Airstrip, followed by an easy game drive to the lodge.
Daily scheduled flights to Nelspruit / Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (KMIA), followed by either a road transfer (1.5 hours) or light aircraft transfer to the lodge (20 minutes).
A road transfer from Hoedspruit Airport to the lodge will take approximately 3 hours.
Lion Sands River Lodge has a total of 18 Suites comprising of:
4 x River Suites
6 x Superior Luxury Suites
8 x Luxury Suites
Rates & Special Offers
Deals By Date
SPECIAL OFFER RATES LISTED ABOVE ARE VALID FOR SA/SADC RESIDENTS ONLY.
SPECIAL DISCOUNTED RATES FROM SEPTEMBER 2021 ARE AVAILABLE ON REQUEST.
- All rates are subject to availability.
- Proof of SA/SADC residency may be required at the time of booking or upon check-in at the lodge.
- Surcharges and a minimum 3 night stay may apply on rates over peak holiday periods and long weekends.
- Unless otherwise stated, all rates listed are based on a minimum 2 night stay. Surcharges may apply for a 1 night booking.
- Rates quoted are only applicable to South African Residents. Special discounted rates for International Residents are available on request.
- Additional fees:
- Park Fees of R 140 per person per stay & Shaw’s Gate Vehicle Fees of R 310 per vehicle per stay. Payable directly at the Gate and subject to change.
- Guest Conservation Contribution Fee of R 151.80 per person per night & Recovery and Rebuilding Levy of R 115 per person per night apply, which will be added to the invoice for the accommodation at the time of booking. (Subject to change)
- There will be a supplement of 50% on the per person rate for single accommodation.
- Children under 10 years are not allowed.
- Children aged 10 – 15 years sharing with two full paying adults will pay less 50% of the per person adult sharing rate.
- Children 16 years and older will need to be in their own room and pay the adult rate.
About Lion Sands River Lodge
Lion Sands River Lodge is the core of the Lion Sands Safari, it is the elemental safari. Within this lodge guests can expect a sophisticated interpretation of the traditional safari lodge, where the focus is on clean lines, optimised natural light & contemporary décor. Lion Sands River Lodge has been built on the banks of the Sabie River. It faces due east, catching the sun as it rises over the Kruger National Park. Guest can enjoy a multitude of different experiences when within the living spaces of the Lion Sands River lodge such as a safari lounge, bar, Barista Stations with artisanal coffees, a gallery showcasing the works of renowned local artists & the One Life MORE Boutique.
Apart from magnificent rooms the main lodge area includes various facilities that allow for serenity & memorable moments. Guests can make use of the ‘Memory Lab’ by printing photographs on canvas which they can take with them to remember their trip. The swimming pool area allows for a relaxing environment providing respite from the heat of the day. The firepit is the perfect spot for sociable nocturnal gatherings beneath the stars.
The dining experience includes the traditional Boma ‘with a twist’, the signature Riverbed dinners and deck dining in the shade of the trees and overlooking the Sabie River are completely memorable & every breakfast is a home-styled experience.
Luxury, Superior & River Suites
Lion Sands River Lodge offers a chic design interpretation of the traditional African safari lodge, with contemporary décor & limited walls allowing for an effortless flow between interior & exterior. The individual eight Luxury Suites, six Superior Luxury Suites & four River Suites each boasting their own private plunge pool are set along a path to reveal splendid river views creating the ultimate safari experience.
Room Features include:
- Air conditioning
- Private plunge pool (River Suites only)
- Room fans
- Mosquito nets
- The Superior Luxury & River Suites have indoor & outdoor showers
- Personal bars
Lion Sands Treehouse – Sleep Out in the Bush
In each Tree House, a bush bedroom is set up to accommodate a single/sharing guest/s for the night with secure access and as many of the room comforts as are practically possible, mosquito net, mattress, linen, bedside table, toilet & bush vanity table.
The guests are given the option to either go out at sunset or after dinner depending on their personal preference. For those leaving at sunset a delicious picnic dinner will be packed for them, having the opportunity to spend the hours of dusk, relaxing, absorbing the beauty of the African bushveld as it transforms from day to night.
The Tree Houses are completely private & secluded allowing the guest the unique experience of being completely alone in the wilderness – an experience that few places in the world can truly offer. After the ranger has taken the guests to the Tree House & ensured that they are perfectly safe he will return to the Lodge (15 minutes away). As dawn breaks the guests will either be able to call the Lodge with their radio or await their collection by the Ranger at the pre-arranged time.
Chalkley Treehouse (maximum two pax)
From R 3,950.00 per person, per night sharing
valid until 30 April 2022
With views extending onto an open plain where you can watch the sunset over the African bushveld. The Tree house is built around a 500 year-old Leadwood Tree where the stars are your only canopy…
These experiences will never be forgotten, guaranteed to touch the soul, a memory that will last forever. (maximum of 2 people per Tree House).
Kingston Treehouse (maximum 4 Pax; two adults & two children)
From R 3,950.00 per person, per night sharing (children aged 10 – 15 pay 50% of the adult sharing rate)
valid until 30 April 2022
Constructed entirely from wood and glass, with contemporary décor in understated hues of greys, white, black and purple. No matter what the weather has in store, you will have a safe and luxurious setting with a unique window to enjoy the ever-changing views. In fact, we defy you to find two identical African sunsets The 60m2 Treehouse is situated about 5 minutes from the main lodge, and you will have radio contact with the rangers, should you choose to. You will also find some cellphone reception; but don’t expect any wi-fi in the bush. Kingston is equipped with full bathroom and shower facilities, and Africology products to complete your sensory experience.
Please note, Treehouse rates are charged as an extra activity over and above the daily rate for accommodation at the respective Lion Sands lodges.
About Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Lion Sands Private Game Reserve is situated in the Southern portion of the 65,000-hectare Sabi Sand Game Reserve (southern Kruger National Park region), an area well known for its spectacular game viewing.
Lion Sands has exclusive access to the Sabie River. From its source high up in the Drakensburg mountain range where it passes through the famous Mac Mac falls, the river through Lion Sands teems with wildlife. It is the definitive safari experience. The relatively cool riverbanks offer a brief respite from the relentless African sun. Splendid parades of animals pass through to quench their thirst at the water’s edge. And eager predators wait patiently.
The name ‘Sabie’ comes from the Zulu ‘eSaba’, meaning ‘afraid’. Both man and beast approach the river with care and respect. It is at once a sanctuary of life and a gripping display of survival. It is what visitors from all over the world come to experience: raw, untouched nature. In ancient days, the lush Sabie river basin was overrun by Africa’s largest reptile, the Nile crocodile. Today, they bask in the shallows in slightly less numbers, still snapping their deadly jaws at any creature wading in close enough.
Of course, your safari cannot be complete without exposure to every facet of life in the bush. With the highly informative and holistic approach at Lion Sands, you will encounter all spheres of the eco-system, from the smallest insects to the mighty African elephant. Professionally qualified senior ecologists, rangers and tracking teams ensure that your personal safari experience not only meets but exceeds your highest expectations.
DIRECTIONS FROM JOHANNESBURG AND PRETORIA
- Take the N12/N4 highway from the Gauteng region towards Emalahleni (formerly known as Witbank), Middleburg and further on to Mbombela (Formerly known as Nelspruit). The route through the Schoemanskloof Valley, just after the Middleburg Toll Plaza, is the preferred one.
- Upon arrival into Mbombela, follow the R40 from Mbombela through to White River and Rocky’s Drift and on to Hazyview.
- At the T-junction between Kiepersol and Hazyview, turn left which will take you into the town of Hazyview.
- At the traffic lights with a large shopping centre on the right hand side, turn right onto the R536 towards Paul Kruger Gate.
- After 38km turn left onto a gravel road which is signposted to Lion Sands.
- Drive along the gravel road for approximately 4km. At the T-junction turn right and drive for a further 4km to Shaw’s Gate, the entrance to the Sabi Sand Reserve. Please remember, the animals have right of way. Should you encounter some of our residents on the road, enjoy the sight and allow them to pass before continuing along your route.
- Follow the signposted route to Lion Sands.
- After approximately 2km, turn right at the Lion Sands sign. There will be an open plain on the left hand side.
- Follow the route to either River Lodge or Ivory Lodge.
- You will encounter a control gate closer to the lodge. Please sign in. You are nearly at your destination.